Friday, June 15, 2012

1 Peter 4:7-11

7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear-minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins.9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each one should use whaever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

There is so much in this passage, this brief devotion won't give it justice. The first thing I noticed about the book of 1 Peter is the use of the words self-controlled. I have been in a depressed funk for awhile, and reading those instructions over and over in this short book told me I have to discipline myself to prayer, reading the word, and atteding church services and Bible studies. I have to recommit myself to service, and find ways I can serve. It was pretty easy in Memphis, here I just have to work a little harder at finding the opportunities. The opportunities are there, I am just not always aware of them. Thank you, Lord in Heaven, for this message.

Verse 8: Above al, love each other deeply because love covers a multitude of sins. Speaks volumes to me. Not only are we to love each other, but love each other deeply, as Jesus loves each of us. This love was demonstrated to me recently by some new friends. I came home from work and my niece handed me a piece of paper, "This is for you." Ok, I thought, a bit nervous, what is this? It turned out to be a note from a friend at church. I hadn't been to church in a couple of weeks, had no access to my fb account, and no one had my phone number. So, they tracked down my address and came to my house looking for me! Thank you dear friends, for loving me deeply! Had I not received that note, I don't know if I would have made it to church again. Tears make their way down my cheeks as I write this. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Remember when you speak, speak as you are speaking the "very words of God." What a great reminder to think before we speak, to watch our tongues. We are a culture quick to judge, but our God is merciful and slow to anger and we should show the love and mercy He has given us. I have been striving to use word to build people up rather than tear people down. What an easy way to show God's love, by speaking words to encourage.

Well, friends, my computer's battery is about to lose its charge so I will end this devotion here.

Be blessed and pass that blessing on to others!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, Thanks for your devotion and reminder. Hope to see you soon! :) Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is definitely talking to me! This week's message at church was to re-ignite our passion for God. Get back in the game already Heather! I need to spend more time with God and less time on fb.

    ReplyDelete